Re: cvs chapters in our docs

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: cvs chapters in our docs
Date: 2009-11-26 11:29:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 2:28 AM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
> On ons, 2009-11-25 at 22:15 +0100, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> >
>> > I think this whole chapter could be removed and the relevant information
>> > added to the web site or the wiki.
>> >
>> > (Btw., it's spelled Git, not GIT.)
>>
>> Completely, or replaced with a reference to pages on the web/wiki?
>
> I think the appendix in question could be removed completely, if the
> content is adequately covered elsewhere.
>
> In the installation instructions chapter, there is a section "Getting
> the Source", which could warrant a link or reference to the appropriate
> instructions on the web site.

I have to say I'm not really impressed by the idea of removing things
from our documentation and replacing them with pages on the wiki. The
documentation is better-written and easier to navigate. Yeah, the
part about 28K modems is pretty silly, but we can fix that without
throwing the baby out with the bathwater...

...Robert