Re: BUG #5149: Can't untar the src code file

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Don Fox <donfox1(at)mac(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5149: Can't untar the src code file
Date: 2009-10-31 03:00:50
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 6:14 PM, Don Fox <donfox1(at)mac(dot)com> wrote:

> Bug reference:      5149
> Logged by:          Don Fox
> Email address:      donfox1(at)mac(dot)com
> PostgreSQL version: 8.4.1
> Operating system:   Mac X Snowleopard
> Details:
>
> tar -x post*.tar
> ^C
> c-76-123-226-197:Downloads donfox1$ tar -xvf postgresql-8.4.1.tar
> tar: Unrecognized archive format: Inappropriate file type or format
> tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors.

Well, there's evidently something different between what you're doing
and what everyone else in the world is doing, but I don't know what it
is. You either have a messed up tarball or a broken tar. I'd start
by downloading the file again and having another go at it. If that
doesn't work, I'd try untarring it on a different machine. If neither
of those things work and you're still having trouble, you should
probably let us know the exact URL from which you downloaded the
tarball so that someone else can attempt to reproduce the problem.

...Robert