Re: 8.5 development schedule

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.5 development schedule
Date: 2009-06-30 13:35:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 8:12 AM, Greg Stark<gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 1:04 PM, Robert Haas<robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> If Hot Standby were ready to be applied, I would be all in favor of
>> that, but in fact I don't believe that's the case.  There's been no
>> movement on Hot Standby since February
>
> Well Simon was happy with it as submitted so unless people are reading
> the patch and giving feedback or using it and running into problems I
> wouldn't really expect him to make changes.

The last substantive email I can find on this topic is:

http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/1235644369.16176.480.camel@ebony.2ndQuadrant

I would summarize that as saying that Simon was happy with the patch,
but Heikki was not. Since I think it will be Heikki who ultimately
commits this, the fact that he doesn't feel that it's ready for
prime-time is a pretty important fact that we shouldn't overlook.
Now, it's possible that Heikki has changed his mind, or it's possible
that given where we are in the development cycle he'd be OK comitting
it as-is to 8.5, or it's possible that some work has been done in the
background and there's a committable version now, in which case -
great! Or, alternatively, if Heikki wants to sit out the next
CommitFest so that he can work on (and hopefully commit) Hot Standby,
also great! But I don't see why other patches can't be committed in
the meantime, assuming for the moment that they're not things which
are likely to create massive merge problems (then again, the pgindent
run has probably done that already).

In any case, we probably need some weigh-in from Heikki and Simon on
their plans for Hot Standby before we make any decisions...

> That's part of the problem wmith leaving patches outside the source
> tree while they're being developed. It's part of what led us to
> suddenly have a massive reviewing job and making big changes in the
> final commitfest.

Yep. Figuring out what to do about that is a hard problem.

...Robert