Re: 8.4 release planning (was Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Automatic view update rules)

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Bernd Helmle <mailings(at)oopsware(dot)de>
Subject: Re: 8.4 release planning (was Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Automatic view update rules)
Date: 2009-02-26 14:54:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 3:47 AM, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
>> I think his reply states that. The long and short is, what Tom was
>> concerned about is true and Heikki has confirmed it. This patch as nice
>> as it would be to have, isn't ready for prime time. It is time to push
>> this patch to 8.5, close up the rest of whatever is left with other
>> patches and move to Beta.
>
> The decision on whether it is ready lies with Heikki, and whilst he is
> prepared to work on it, and there are other patches still in the queue
> being worked on by other committers there is no reason to bump it yet
> (unless Heikki wants to look at the other patches).

Well, this is a key point. If Heikki thinks that the patch isn't
going to be ready for 8.4 (and it sounds like that's the case), then
it would be more beneficial to the project for him to lay it aside for
a few weeks and help clean out the rest of the patch queue rather than
continuing to work on that patch and leaving the other patches to the
other committers. Our rate of progress on cleaning out the November
CommitFest seems to be asymptotically approaching zero (9 patches
committed in December, 6 in January, 4 so far in February...) so
benching one of the main committers for a feature that won't be ready
anyway is not a good trade-off.

Of course, if Heikki can't or isn't interested in working on any of
the remaining patches, then he might as well keep plugging away at Hot
Standby rather than leaving it for another day. It can live in git
until 8.4 is released and then get merged after the tree is branched,
and anyone else who wants to do further development in that area can
get started knowing what the final shape of that code will be.

...Robert