Re: PATCH: logical_work_mem and logical streaming of large in-progress transactions

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
Cc: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PATCH: logical_work_mem and logical streaming of large in-progress transactions
Date: 2018-03-09 16:07:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I think this patch is not going to be ready for PG11.

- It depends on some work in the thread "logical decoding of two-phase
transactions", which is still in progress.

- Various details in the logical_work_mem patch (0001) are unresolved.

- This being partially a performance feature, we haven't seen any
performance tests (e.g., which settings result in which latencies under
which workloads).

That said, the feature seems useful and desirable, and the
implementation makes sense. There are documentation and tests. But
there is a significant amount of design and coding work still necessary.

Attached is a fixup patch that I needed to make it compile.

The last two patches in your series (0008, 0009) are labeled as bug
fixes. Would you like to argue that they should be applied
independently of the rest of the feature?

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-fixup-Track-statistics-for-streaming-spilling.patch text/plain 2.5 KB