Re: BUG #5246: Misleading/inconsistent SQLSTATE behavior

From: Chris Travers <chris(at)metatrontech(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Chris Travers <chris(dot)travers(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5246: Misleading/inconsistent SQLSTATE behavior
Date: 2009-12-16 21:16:12
Lists: pgsql-bugs

trying again. Sorry for the duplicate.

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 1:12 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> "Chris Travers" <chris(dot)travers(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>> I am noticing that that a failed database connection results in an unusable
>> SQLSTATE in libpq, and a very different SQLSTATE than the backend
>> registers.
>
>> For example, if a connection fails due to a database not found, the backend
>> registers 3D000 as a SQL state, but the front-end registers 25P01.  If a
>> login fails, the back-end registers 28000 but the front-end registers 25P01
>> again.
>
> Exactly what "frontend" are you talking about here?  Because what this
> sounds like to me is a client-side programming error.  It's certainly
> not the backend's fault, and I doubt it is libpq's either.

I am using DBD::Pg.

I asked about it on #postgresql and was told this was the SQLSTATE code
passed up from libpq (by the author of DBD::Pg). Several other folks
there seemed to concur.

It is certainly not a backend error. The back-end logs correct errors
when logging is set to verbose.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers