Re: BUG #4883: tar xf fails on NFS4 mounts

From: ajmcello <ajmcello78(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #4883: tar xf fails on NFS4 mounts
Date: 2009-06-26 01:20:56
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 5:44 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> ajmcello <ajmcello78(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> > # make
> > make -C doc all
> > make[1]: Entering directory `/nfs/fsp1/web/postgresql-8.3.7/doc'
> > gzip -d -c man.tar.gz | /bin/tar xf -
> > /bin/tar: man1/clusterdb.1: Cannot change ownership to uid 258, gid 258:
> > Invalid argument
> > /bin/tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
> > make[1]: *** [manl/.timestamp] Error 2
>
> Hmm, that is *not* about unpacking the source tarball as I first thought
> --- it's about unpacking the documentation sub-tarballs. Which is
> something that people are quite likely to try to do as root,
> particularly for the html tarball which is unpacked only in the install
> step. Maybe putting "o" into the options in doc/Makefile is a good
> idea. I'm wondering why we've not had complaints before, though.
>
> BTW, why are there uses of both "tar" and "$(TAR)" in there?
>
> regards, tom lane

Oh, yeah I see that now it uses both. I sent a report to the tar group,
maybe its something they can fix. I got that error when both unpacking the
source tarball and within the doc directory.

Everything seems to work fine by hand, chown, chgrp, etc..Maybe its a system
call issue with tar, though it all worked fine in NFSv3 which does not use
an ID mapper daemon. I guess not too many people are using NFSv4 (I had to
specify nfs4 in fstab, its turned off by default in Ubuntu 9.04 jaunty).
Maybe I should go back to 3...

The only downside with adding o to tar that I can see is if it isn't
supported by a non-GNU version of tar.