Re: PATCH: Configurable file mode mask

From: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Adam Brightwell <adam(dot)brightwell(at)crunchydata(dot)com>
Subject: Re: PATCH: Configurable file mode mask
Date: 2017-03-06 14:06:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 3/6/17 8:50 AM, Stephen Frost wrote:

> * Simon Riggs (simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com) wrote:
>>> to allow the default mode of files and directories
>>> in the $PGDATA directory to be modified.
>>
>> Are you saying if this is changed all files/directories will be
>> changed to the new mode?
>
> No, new files will be created with the new mode and existing files will
> be allowed to have the mode set. Changing all of the existing files
> didn't seem like something we should be trying to do at server start.
>
>> It seems like it would be annoying to have some files in one mode,
>> some in another.
>
> It's not intended for that to happen, but it is possible for it to. The
> alternative is to try and forcibly change all files at server start time
> to match what is configured but that didn't seem like a great idea.

Agreed. It would definitely affect server start time, perhaps
significantly.

I have added a note to the docs that a change in file_mode_mask does not
automatically change the mode of existing files on disk.

This patch applies cleanly on 6f3a13f.

--
-David
david(at)pgmasters(dot)net

Attachment Content-Type Size
file-mode-mask-v2.patch text/plain 46.2 KB