WAL backups

From: "Brian Modra" <epailty(at)googlemail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: WAL backups
Date: 2008-02-18 09:40:00
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi,
I've only just started doing WAL backups, and so far am not able to
keep a running backup due to lack of hardware.
Obviously I gzip the WAL fioles, but I'm fast running out of disk
space. I have a second standy server with 200GB disk, where I store
the compressed WAL files, which quickly fills up.
Archiving is difficult simply because the server is in a server room
in Johannesburg 1000km away. We pay them to keep the server powered
up, safe, and connected. They can slip a DVD into it, but that
requires me to book it in advance, and it takes maybe a few hours
before they can do it.

I want to be able to do historical recoveries to any point in time if necessary.

I'm interested to hear from other's about hardware for backup.
I'm thinking of a second dedicated server offsite (near me), with a
large, large disk.

Thanks.
Brian
--