Re: R: Help lock record

From: Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>
To: bitrunner <bitrunner(at)katamail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: R: Help lock record
Date: 2006-05-24 11:31:35
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On 24-May-06, at 1:12 AM, bitrunner wrote:

> On 23-May-06, at 1:37 PM, bitrunner wrote:
>
> > For lock the record I use:
> > select * from orders where id = 17 for update
> >
> > in this way lock the record with id = 17.
> > If an other user demands the same record as I can understand that
> it is lock?
>
> > yes as long as autocommit is false this is true. In other words as
> > long as you do this inside a transaction/
>

> sorry but I dont have to understand.
> How I can understand that there is an other user who lock the record?

I think I understand the question. You want to know how to determine
if the record is locked.

As far as I know there isn't a way. If process A locks the record,
then process B attempts to lock the record it will block until
process A releases the record.

If you have statement_timeout set to some value other than -1 then
process B will timeout after waiting for the statement_timeout.
Otherwise it will block until process A is finished with the record.

Dave