Re: Ryu floating point output patch

From: Donald Dong <xdong(at)csumb(dot)edu>
To: Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Ryu floating point output patch
Date: 2019-01-17 05:10:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Jan 15, 2019, at 2:37 AM, Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk> wrote:
>
> Andres> strtod()'s job ought to computationally be significantly easier
> Andres> than the other way round, no? And if there's buggy strtod()
> Andres> implementations out there, why would they be guaranteed to do
> Andres> the correct thing with our current output, but not with ryu's?
>
> Funny thing: I've been devoting considerable effort to testing this, and
> the one failure mode I've found is very interesting; it's not a problem
> with strtod(), in fact it's a bug in our float4in caused by _misuse_ of
> strtod().

Hi,

I'm trying to reproduce the results by calling float4in in my test code. But I
have some difficulties linking the code:

testfloat4.c:(.text+0x34): undefined reference to `float4in'
testfloat4.c:(.text+0x3c): undefined reference to `DirectFunctionCall1Coll'

I tried offering float.o to the linker in addition to my test program. I also
tried to link all the objects (*.o). But the errors still exist. I attached my
changes as a patch.

I wonder if creating separated test programs is a good way of testing the code,
and I'm interested in learning what I missed.

Thank you.

Attachment Content-Type Size
test_float4.patch application/octet-stream 1.3 KB