Re: Well, I am making some progress with createdb/dropdb

From: Jim Nasby <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
To: Philippe Salama <karebacnyc(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Well, I am making some progress with createdb/dropdb
Date: 2006-12-22 22:58:17
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Dec 9, 2006, at 6:19 PM, Philippe Salama wrote:
> The textbook wanted me to create-db -U neil bpsimple, but I
> accidentally created it as postgres. I want to follow directions
> so future exercises will work ok.
>
> It has taken me a while to figure out that there are , in bin,
> programs such as createdb.exe which look for parameters on command
> line such as
> -U neil bpsimple
>
> So, I had to figure out how to dropdb.exe -U postgres bpsimple
>
> And then recreate it as createdb.exe -U neil bpsimple
>
> It is confusing for me to keep straight which things are .exe in
> bin, and which are command lines in psql.

I think the docs make it pretty obvious which is which, but as a rule
of thumb, people tend to capitalize SQL commands (ie: CREATE
DATABASE), but not the command-line commands.

When in doubt, there's an entire section of the docs that is a
reference to all commands.
--
Jim Nasby jim(at)nasby(dot)net