Re: resource leak in 7.2

From: "Tom Pfau" <T(dot)Pfau(at)emCrit(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: resource leak in 7.2
Date: 2002-02-05 17:11:39
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-cygwin

We were initially using 7.1.2. Some overnight tests of our application
revealed that the backends were not releasing handles according to task
manager. We upgraded to 7.1.3 and the problem went away.

My initial testing of 7.2 shows the same symptom although I don't know
that it's the same cause. I just noted that we have seen the problem
before so that if anyone was aware of the prior problem, they might be
able to check that it hadn't been lost in the new version. I don't know
exactly what got changed between 7.1.2 and 7.1.3 to cause the problem to
go away.

In any case, if I run my test procedure which just performs updates to a
random column of a random row of a 1000 row table, I can watch the
handle usage continue to rise on the backend process.

Looking a bit more closely now, a single process doesn't seem to cause a
problem. Running two or more copies simultaneously causes the backends
to continuously consume handles. If I stop one of the processes, the
other stops losing handles.

I'm attaching the test procedure. BTW, the file it reads for data
contains a log of a vacuum session that has been reformatted slightly.
The lines are between 3 and 76 bytes.