Re: [HACKERS] AdvanceXLInsertBuffer vs. WAL segment compressibility

From: Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] AdvanceXLInsertBuffer vs. WAL segment compressibility
Date: 2018-03-27 03:16:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 03/26/18 12:34, Tom Lane wrote:
> If that's the argument, why is the WALInsertLockUpdateInsertingAt(CurrPos)
> call still there? GetXLogBuffer() would do that too.

"Because I hadn't noticed that," he said, sheepishly.

> In any case, the new comment ... fails to
> explain what's going on, and the reference to a function that is not
> actually called from the vicinity of the comment ...
> suggest something like "GetXLogBuffer() will fetch and initialize the
> next WAL page for us. ... worth explaining how you know that the new
> page's header is short not long.

Here are patches responding to that (and also fixing the unintended
inclusion of .travis.yml).

What I have not done here is respond to Michael's objection, which
I haven't had time to think more about yet.

-Chap

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Zero-headers-of-unused-pages-after-WAL-switch.patch text/x-patch 3.5 KB
0002-Add-test-for-ensuring-WAL-segment-is-zeroed-out.patch text/x-patch 2.9 KB