Re: postgres_fdw: perform UPDATE/DELETE .. RETURNING on a join directly

From: Etsuro Fujita <fujita(dot)etsuro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Rushabh Lathia <rushabh(dot)lathia(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: postgres_fdw: perform UPDATE/DELETE .. RETURNING on a join directly
Date: 2018-02-13 12:40:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

(2018/02/11 6:24), Tom Lane wrote:
> However, jaguarundi still shows a problem:
>
> https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=jaguarundi&dt=2018-02-10%2008%3A41%3A32
>
> (previous run similar, so it's semi-reproducible even after this patch).
> jaguarundi uses -DCLOBBER_CACHE_ALWAYS, so you might try a few repetitions
> with that.

I ran the postgres_fdw regression test with no sleep two times in a
CLOBBER_CACHE_ALWAYS-enabled build, and then the regression test with
the sleep (60 seconds) two times, but I couldn't reproduce that in both
cases. I suspect the changes in the order of the RETURNING output there
was still caused by autovacuum kicking in partway through the run. So
to make the regression test more stable against autovacuum, I'd propose
to modify the regression test to disable autovacuum for the remote table
(ie "S 1"."T 1") (and perform VACUUM ANALYZE to that table manually
instead) in hopes of getting that fixed. Attached is a patch for that.
I think changes added by the previous patch wouldn't make sense
anymore, so I removed those changes.

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita

Attachment Content-Type Size
postgres-fdw-regress-2.patch text/x-diff 8.8 KB