Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Sigh ...

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Sigh ...
Date: 2008-05-02 14:45:31
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

> This fix is surely wrong for several reasons:
> . the configure changes only broke MSVC builds, not all Windows builds
> (see narwhal, for example), but this change applies to both.
> . fixing a change that adds a configure option by hardcoding it in
> pg_config.h.win32 is simply the wrong fix - the right fix is to add the
> equivalent logic to src/tools/Solution.pm.

Well, maybe the right answer is to take a step back and figure out what
pg_config.h.win32's excuse for living is at all. I do not understand
our Windows configuration setup, and what I do understand is is that
it's a pile of horrid kluges that break anytime anyone looks at them
sideways.

I will be quite happy to never touch any Windows configuration stuff
again. If you want me to, you had better redesign and/or document it
so that people other than you and Magnus have some idea of what connects
to what.