Re: Cached plans and statement generalization

From: Konstantin Knizhnik <k(dot)knizhnik(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Douglas Doole <dougdoole(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Cached plans and statement generalization
Date: 2017-05-11 20:30:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 05/11/2017 10:52 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2017-05-11 22:48:26 +0300, Konstantin Knizhnik wrote:
>>> FWIW, gram.y does show up as significant in many of the profiles I take.
>>> I speculate that this is not so much that it eats many CPU cycles, as that
>>> the constant tables are so large as to incur lots of cache misses. scan.l
>>> is not quite as big a deal for some reason, even though it's also large.
>>>
>>> regards, tom lane
>> Yes, my results shows that pg_parse_query adds not so much overhead:
>> 206k TPS for my first variant with string literal substitution and modified query text used as hash key vs.
>> 181k. TPS for version with patching raw parse tree constructed by pg_parse_query.
> Those numbers and your statement seem to contradict each other?

Oops, my parse error:( I incorrectly read Tom's statement.
Actually, I also was afraid that price of parsing is large enough and this is why my first attempt was to avoid parsing.
But then I find out that most of the time is spent in analyze and planning (see attached profile):

pg_parse_query: 4.23%
pg_analyze_and_rewrite 8.45%
pg_plan_queries: 15.49%

--