PostgreSQL Tweaking

From: "renier" <renier(at)vvconsult(dot)co(dot)za>
To: <jnbpug(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: PostgreSQL Tweaking
Date: 2010-04-09 08:27:18
Lists: jnbpug

Hi There. Is there anyone in the SA PostgreSQL community that is willing to assist us.

We started trials on PostgreSQL just over a year ago, so we used on old desktop lying around as our database server, which served fine for testing purposes. We eventually bought a new server (2x2.93GHZ Quad core Xeon, 32GB RAM, 6x450GB SAS 15000RPM drives etc), quite a decent machine, but the performance on this machine is the same, if not worse, than it is on our old “server”. We tried tweaking the postgres.conf file but we do not really have enough knowledge of this file and performance does not increase, or the service wont start.

Is there anyone out there with enough experience in postgreSQL tweaking that might be willing to assist in some db tuning, and help us learn?

Regards,
Renier

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5012 (20100409) __________

http://www.eset.com