Re: [PoC] Non-volatile WAL buffer

From: Konstantin Knizhnik <k(dot)knizhnik(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, "tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Takashi Menjo <takashi(dot)menjo(at)gmail(dot)com>, Takashi Menjo <takashi(dot)menjou(dot)vg(at)hco(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, "Deng, Gang" <gang(dot)deng(at)intel(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [PoC] Non-volatile WAL buffer
Date: 2021-01-22 16:04:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 22.01.2021 5:32, Tomas Vondra wrote:

> On 1/21/21 3:17 AM, Masahiko Sawada wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 7, 2021 at 2:16 AM Tomas Vondra
>> <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I think I've managed to get the 0002 patch [1] rebased to master and
>>> working (with help from Masahiko Sawada). It's not clear to me how it
>>> could have worked as submitted - my theory is that an incomplete patch
>>> was submitted by mistake, or something like that.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, the benchmark results were kinda disappointing. For a
>>> pgbench on scale 500 (fits into shared buffers), an average of three
>>> 5-minute runs looks like this:
>>>
>>>     branch                 1        16        32 64        96
>>>     master              7291     87704    165310    150437 224186
>>>     ntt                 7912    106095    213206    212410 237819
>>>     simple-no-buffers   7654     96544    115416     95828 103065
>>>
>>> NTT refers to the patch from September 10, pre-allocating a large WAL
>>> file on PMEM, and simple-no-buffers is the simpler patch simply
>>> removing
>>> the WAL buffers and writing directly to a mmap-ed WAL segment on PMEM.
>>>
>>> Note: The patch is just replacing the old implementation with mmap.
>>> That's good enough for experiments like this, but we probably want to
>>> keep the old one for setups without PMEM. But it's good enough for
>>> testing, benchmarking etc.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, the results for this simple approach are pretty bad. Not
>>> only compared to the "ntt" patch, but even to master. I'm not entirely
>>> sure what's the root cause, but I have a couple hypotheses:
>>>
>>> 1) bug in the patch - That's clearly a possibility, although I've tried
>>> tried to eliminate this possibility.
>>>
>>> 2) PMEM is slower than DRAM - From what I know, PMEM is much faster
>>> than
>>> NVMe storage, but still much slower than DRAM (both in terms of latency
>>> and bandwidth, see [2] for some data). It's not terrible, but the
>>> latency is maybe 2-3x higher - not a huge difference, but may matter
>>> for
>>> WAL buffers?
>>>
>>> 3) PMEM does not handle parallel writes well - If you look at [2],
>>> Figure 4(b), you'll see that the throughput actually *drops" as the
>>> number of threads increase. That's pretty strange / annoying, because
>>> that's how we write into WAL buffers - each thread writes it's own
>>> data,
>>> so parallelism is not something we can get rid of.
>>>
>>> I've added some simple profiling, to measure number of calls / time for
>>> each operation (use -DXLOG_DEBUG_STATS to enable). It accumulates data
>>> for each backend, and logs the counts every 1M ops.
>>>
>>> Typical stats from a concurrent run looks like this:
>>>
>>>     xlog stats cnt 43000000
>>>        map cnt 100 time 5448333 unmap cnt 100 time 3730963
>>>        memcpy cnt 985964 time 1550442272 len 15150499
>>>        memset cnt 0 time 0 len 0
>>>        persist cnt 13836 time 10369617 len 16292182
>>>
>>> The times are in nanoseconds, so this says the backend did 100  mmap
> [...]

I have heard from several DBMS experts that appearance of huge and cheap
non-volatile memory can make a revolution in database system architecture.
If all database can fit in non-volatile memory, then we do not need
buffers, WAL, ...
But although  multi-terabyte NVM announces were made by IBM several
years ago, I do not know about some successful DBMS prototypes with new
architecture.
I tried to understand why...

It was very interesting to me to read this thread, which is actually
started in 2016 with "Non-volatile Memory Logging" presentation at PGCon.
As far as I understand  from Tomas result right now using PMEM for WAL
doesn't provide some substantial increase of performance.

But the main advantage of PMEM from my point of view is that it allows
to avoid write-ahead logging at all!
Certainly we need to change our algorithms to make it possible. Speaking
about Postgres, we have to rewrite all indexes + heap
and throw away buffer manager + WAL.

What can be used instead of standard B-Tree?
For example there is description of multiword-CAS approach:

   http://justinlevandoski.org/papers/mwcas.pdf

and BzTree implementation on top of it:

   https://www.cc.gatech.edu/~jarulraj/papers/2018.bztree.vldb.pdf

There is free BzTree implementation at github:

    git(at)github(dot)com:sfu-dis/bztree.git

I tried to adopt it for Postgres. It was not so easy because:
1. It was written in modern C++ (-std=c++14)
2. It supports multithreading, but not mutliprocess access

So I have to patch code of this library instead of just using it:

  git(at)github(dot)com:postgrespro/bztree.git

I have not tested yet most iterating case: access to PMEM through PMDK.
And I do not have hardware for such tests.
But first results are also seem to be interesting: PMwCAS is kind of
lockless algorithm and it shows much better scaling at
NUMA host comparing with standard Postgres.

I have done simple parallel insertion test: multiple clients are
inserting data with random keys.
To make competition with vanilla Postgres more honest I used unlogged table:

create unlogged table t(pk int, payload int);
create index on t using bztree(pk);

randinsert.sql:
insert into t (payload,pk) values
(generate_series(1,1000),random()*1000000000);

pgbench -f randinsert.sql -c N -j N -M prepared -n -t 1000 -P 1 postgres

So each client is inserting one million records.
The target system has 160 virtual and 80 real cores with 256GB of RAM.
Results (TPS) are the following:

N      nbtree      bztree
1           540          455
10         993        2237
100     1479        5025

So bztree is more than 3 times faster for 100 clients.
Just for comparison: result for inserting in this table without index is
10k TPS.

I am going then try to play with PMEM.
If results will be promising, then it is possible to think about
reimplementation of heap and WAL-less Postgres!

I am sorry, that my post has no direct relation to the topic of this
thread (Non-volatile WAL buffer).
It seems to be that it is better to use PMEM to eliminate WAL at all
instead of optimizing it.
Certainly, I realize that WAL plays very important role in Postgres:
archiving and replication are based on WAL. So even if we can live
without WAL, it is still not clear whether we really want to live
without it.

One more idea: using multiword CAS approach  requires us to make changes
as editing sequences.
Such editing sequence is actually ready WAL records. So implementors of
access methods do not have to do
double work: update data structure in memory and create correspondent
WAL records. Moreover, PMwCAS operations are atomic:
we can replay or revert them in case of fault. So there is no need in
FPW (full page writes) which have very noticeable impact on WAL size and
database performance.

--
Konstantin Knizhnik
The Russian Postgres Company