Re: Optimization for updating foreign tables in Postgres FDW

From: Etsuro Fujita <fujita(dot)etsuro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Rushabh Lathia <rushabh(dot)lathia(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Albe Laurenz <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Shigeru Hanada <shigeru(dot)hanada(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Optimization for updating foreign tables in Postgres FDW
Date: 2016-03-01 11:26:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2016/02/22 20:13, Rushabh Lathia wrote:
> PFA update patch, which includes changes into postgresPlanDMLPushdown()
> to check for join
> condition before target columns and also fixed couple of whitespace issues.

For pushing down an UPDATE/DELETE on a foreign join to the remote, I
created a WIP patch on top of the latest version of the DML pushdown
patch. Attached is the WIP patch. I'd like to propose this as part of
(I'd like to discuss this as a separate patch, though):

https://commitfest.postgresql.org/9/453/

The patch doesn't correctly evaluate the values of system columns of
joined relations in RETURNING, other than ctid. I'll fix that ASAP.

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita

Attachment Content-Type Size
fdw-dml-pushdown-ext-v1.patch text/x-diff 44.5 KB