Re: plpgsql - DECLARE - cannot to use %TYPE or %ROWTYPE for composite types

From: Artur Zakirov <a(dot)zakirov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: plpgsql - DECLARE - cannot to use %TYPE or %ROWTYPE for composite types
Date: 2015-12-21 15:21:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi.
I have tried to do some review of this patch. Below are my comments.

Introduction:

This patch fixes and adds the following functionality:
- %TYPE - now can be used for composite types.
- %ARRAYTYPE - new functionality, provides the array type from a
variable or table column.
- %ELEMENTTYPE - new funcitonality, provides the element type of a given
array.

New regression tests are included in the patch. Changes to the
documentation are not provided.

Initial Run:

The patch applies correctly to HEAD. Regression tests pass successfully,
without errors. It seems that the patch work as you expected.

Performance:

It seems patch have not possible performance issues for the existing
functionality.

Coding:

The style looks fine. I attached the patch that does some corrections in
code and documentation. I have corrected indentation in pl_comp.c and
"read_datatype" function in pl_gram.y. I think changes in
"read_datatype" function would be better to avoid a code duplication.
But I could be wrong of course.

Conclusion:

The patch could be applied on master with documentation corrections. But
I'm not sure that your task could be resloved only by adding %ARRAYTYPE
and %ELEMENTTYPE. Maybe you will give some examples?

--
Artur Zakirov
Russian Postgres Company

Attachment Content-Type Size
plpgsql-polymorphic-row-var-2.patch text/x-patch 7.6 KB