ERROR: cannot read block 1452 from data (HELP!!!! I'M DESPERATE!)

From: <dazo(at)netcom(dot)no>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: ERROR: cannot read block 1452 from data (HELP!!!! I'M DESPERATE!)
Date: 2001-04-05 22:04:27
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi ya'll!

I hope some of you can help me with this emergency!

One of my data tables has crashed and I'm not able to dump the table or
vacuum it ... it just gives me the same story each time: Cannot read
block 1452 from data

I've done filesystems check, everything ok (both e2fsck and badblocks)
I've dropped all indexes
I've vacuumed all other tables in the database
I've restarted the postmaster
I've booted the server
... BUT NOTHING HELPS!

I'm running PostgreSQL v6.5.2 on a Linux 2.0.36 kernel (SMP) - Dual
Pentium II with 256 MB of RAM.

We use the database to handle our card production and the table which
crashed is of cource the most important one, which changes every hour -
which makes backup almost imposible. We do regulary vacuums (every
night) ... but this problem is killing me ... our production is halted
now because of this problem.

Ok, more details:

This is what psql gives me:
bankdb=> vacuum verbose analyze data;
NOTICE: --Relation data--
ERROR: cannot read block 1452 of data
bankdb=> vacuum verbose analyze data;
NOTICE: CreatePortal: portal <vacuum> already exists
NOTICE: --Relation data--
before or while processing the request.
We have lost the connection to the backend, so further processing is
impossible.
Terminating.

And I connected gdb to the postgres backend and the 'bt' commands gives
me this ...

Attaching to program `/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster', process 1069
Reading symbols from /lib/libdl.so.1...done.
Reading symbols from /lib/libm.so.5...done.
Reading symbols from /lib/libtermcap.so.2...done.
Reading symbols from /lib/libncurses.so.3.4...done.
Reading symbols from /lib/libc.so.5...done.
Reading symbols from /lib/ld-linux.so.1...done.
0x400bf074 in recv ()
(gdb) cont
Continuing.

0x400c2a89 in __kill ()
(gdb) bt
#0 0x400c2a89 in __kill ()
#1 0x400918c9 in gsignal ()
#2 0x80d6a8e in s_lock ()
#3 0x80d515b in BufferAlloc ()
#4 0x80d4d1c in ReadBufferWithBufferLock ()
#5 0x80d4caa in ReadBuffer ()
#6 0x8086d30 in vc_scanheap ()
#7 0x8086a9d in vc_vacone ()
#8 0x8086465 in vc_vacuum ()
#9 0x8086353 in vacuum ()
#10 0x80e2923 in ProcessUtility ()
#11 0x80df70a in pg_exec_query_dest ()
#12 0x80df62c in pg_exec_query ()
#13 0x80e0888 in PostgresMain ()
#14 0x80ca0f4 in DoBackend ()
#15 0x80c9c43 in BackendStartup ()
#16 0x80c93ae in ServerLoop ()
#17 0x80c8f89 in PostmasterMain ()
#18 0x80a05a4 in main ()
#19 0x806081e in _start ()

Is there anyone who can help me ... I do not want to drop the table, it
contains almost 7000 records with production data (thats 1,5 day of
work for our production machines)

I need help! And if you're looking on the case, tell me! Any ideas
are welcome! I'm willing to do anything (well, except selling my soul)
as long as I can restore the my data. And this has to be done before
11:00 GMT+1 ...

I'll just pray that some of you may be able help me ...

David Sommerseth
dazo(at)netcom(dot)no