Re: Application using PostgreSQL (off topic,

From: "Daniel T(dot) Staal" <DStaal(at)usa(dot)net>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Application using PostgreSQL (off topic,
Date: 2005-11-17 19:31:55
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Thu, November 17, 2005 2:06 pm, operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com said:
> --- "Obe, Regina DND\\MIS"
> <robe(dot)dnd(at)cityofboston(dot)gov> wrote:
>
>> One of the key benefits of a web app is that as long
>> as you stick with W3
>> compliance, your web app will work on any
>> browser/OS.
>
> i wanted to add that is not my experience. there are
> so many hacks required to achieve cross browser
> compatibility it is AMAZING.

I just wanted to but in that I've done enough web development to have had
both experiences.

In general I've found that if you don't mind a little bit 'loose'
structure it is quite easy. The tighter your tolerances for placement,
the harder it gets.

(Then of course there are things that just aren't possible on one browser
or another.)

> the #1 problem, by far, is that not all browsers
> support w3c specifications... ie being the worst.
>
> at least in my experience.

True that. ;) The next version of IE is apparently *much* improved in
that regard, so in five-ten years when it has replaced enough of the
current browsers we'll be in good shape.

To the original poster: While you could do this in a web interface (and,
as I said, Ruby on Rails looks great for trying it...), I'd suggest you
not, unless you really are thinking of this as a client-server model, with
mutiple clients using it at the same time.

Daniel T. Staal

This email copyright the author. Unless otherwise noted, you
the contents for non-commercial purposes. This copyright will
local copyright law.