Re: Sequence Access Method WIP

From: Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Sequence Access Method WIP
Date: 2015-02-15 18:40:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

sending new version that is updated along the lines of what we discussed
at FOSDEM, which means:

- back to single bytea amdata column (no custom columns)

- the dump/restore interfaces were changed to produce/accept array of
key/value pairs

- psql shows the output of dump interface in verbose mode (this makes it
easier to inspect the state)

- last_value and is_called are always present columns even if the
sequence am does not care for them (this helps with backwards
compatibility with various admin tools)

- pg_dump uses new interface for dumping only for non-local sequences so
that dumps of schemas which are not using custom seqams are restorable
to older postgres

- the default_sequenceam was changed to serial_sequenceam and only
applies to serial/bigserial columns - I would personally prefer to have
the old default but default for serial is better than nothing

- added description of pg_seqam catalog to docs

- gapless_seq still uses table internally to support snapshots for pg_dump

- pg_dump support for dumping the sequence ams

It would be nice to also have something along the lines of chapter 55.2.
(Index Access Method Functions), I plan to send that as additional patch
in few days.

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-seqam-v7.patch text/x-diff 134.2 KB
0002-seqam-ddl-v3.patch text/x-diff 40.7 KB
0003-gapless-sequence-v4.patch text/x-diff 27.5 KB