SOS ---- Could you help me with pg_resetxlog

From: alvaro(at)audifarma(dot)com(dot)co
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: SOS ---- Could you help me with pg_resetxlog
Date: 2004-07-27 15:58:41
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi,

Yesterday I ahve posted a message indicating that I had a problem the
following problem:

ERROR: could not access status of transaction 3145728
DETAIL: could not open file "/var/lib/pgsql/datos/pg_clog/0003": No such
file or directory

I know that the file /var/lib/pgsql/datos/pg_clog/0003 doesn't exist but I
restart postmaster several times and postmaster still indicates that
condition... How can I fix this?

Reading the manual I found the pg_resetxlog command and follow the
instructions to figure out what could be the next log file like this:

look at the /var/lib/pgsql/datos/pg_clog for the file with the highest
value (000) then I did the following operation:

(000+1)*1048576 and then convert the result into an HEX value (100000),

Then I run the following command:

pg_resetxlog -x 100000 /var/lib/pgsql/datos

But....Oh my god I lost all the information generated since july 14 of
this year...

I think that the possible cause of this was becasue in that date something
happends (SO level) and the file was missing maybe fsck did that, -I'm
just wondering...-.

I try to restore from my copies but none of them work properly ... Is
there any way that I can undo the resetxlog operation -Please say yes...-

Thanks a lot,

Alvaro

Thanks a lot for your help,

Alvaro