Problem with ODBC, ERROR - no error information is available

From: "Steve Tibbett" <stibbett(at)zim(dot)biz>
To: <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Problem with ODBC, ERROR - no error information is available
Date: 2004-03-25 15:44:50
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Hi - I'm using ASP.NET to write an app that's talking to a Postgres back
end through ODBC.

It's been working pretty well, except that lately I run into this
problem when trying to open a connection.

I get an error exception thrown by the .NET framework's OdbcConnection
clsas, with no information about the error.

I turned on logging, and when the error was happening, this is what was
there:

[884]CONN ERROR: func=PGAPI_GetInfo30, desc='', errnum=209,
errmsg='Unrecognized key passed to SQLGetInfo30.'
[884]CONN ERROR: func=SQLGetInfo30, desc='', errnum=209,
errmsg='Unrecognized key passed to SQLGetInfo30.'

I determined from the ODBC log that the unrecognized key is
SQL_DTC_TRANSITION_COST.

Anyone seen this? I don't know why it's only asking for
SQL_DTC_TRANSITION_COST in some situations and not others.. seems like
supporting this in SQLGetInfo30 would be a reasonable fix but I'm not
sure why it's happening at all. I was playing with the connection
pooling settings, maybe that's what started it, but I turned that back
off and even still it only happens occasionally (but once it starts
happening, it keeps happening until I restart the ASP.NET worker
process).

Thanks
--
Steve Tibbett
stibbett at zim.biz <mailto:stibbett(at)zim(dot)biz>

Attachment Content-Type Size
Steve Tibbett.vcf text/x-vcard 446 bytes