Provide a pg_truncate_freespacemap function

From: Ronan Dunklau <ronan(dot)dunklau(at)aiven(dot)io>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Provide a pg_truncate_freespacemap function
Date: 2024-03-04 13:54:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello,

As we are currently experiencing a FSM corruption issue [1], we need to
rebuild FSM when we detect it.

I noticed we have something to truncate a visibility map, but nothing for the
freespace map, so I propose the attached (liberally copied from the VM
counterpart) to allow to truncate a FSM without incurring downtime, as
currently our only options are to either VACUUM FULL the table or stop the
cluster and remove the FSM manually.

Does that seem correct ?

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/
1925490.taCxCBeP46%40aivenlaptop#7ace95c95cab17b6d92607e5362984ac

--
Ronan Dunklau

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Provide-a-pg_truncate_freespacemap-function.patch text/x-patch 4.5 KB