Proposal: Log inability to lock pages during vacuum

From: Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)BlueTreble(dot)com>
To: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Proposal: Log inability to lock pages during vacuum
Date: 2014-10-20 01:57:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Currently, a non-freeze vacuum will punt on any page it can't get a cleanup lock on, with no retry. Presumably this should be a rare occurrence, but I think it's bad that we just assume that and won't warn the user if something bad is going on.

My thought is that if we skip any pages elog(LOG) how many we skipped. If we skip more than 1% of the pages we visited (not relpages) then elog(WARNING) instead.

Comments?