Connection exceptions

From: "Thomas Finneid" <tfinneid(at)fcon(dot)no>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Connection exceptions
Date: 2009-06-19 10:37:15
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hi

Anybody got any best practices for how do I deal with connection problems
in JDBC?

I am working on a storage tier where the DAOs can encounter faulty
database connections, either closed or other-wise non functional
connections.
The database connection is pooled with Commons DBCP, and my initial
thought was to reinitialise or restart the pool, if there were any
problems.
But then I realised that the pool can test connections before giving it to
the application, so now moving into muddy waters because I dont know much
about these details.

My original code is something like:

while (retry > 0) {
Connection con = ds.getConnection
if (con==null) {
dsFactory.restartDS();
retry--:
continue;
}
try {
dao.execute();
} catch (SQLExceptions e) {

con.close();
}

Not knowing the details of how the DBCP or the DataSource works in these
situations, make this code prone to problems.

I will continue to investigate, but any feedback about what to look at is
appreciated.

regards

thomas