Remote Connection to server: Connection Refused

From: Kavitha Parvataneni <kavip81(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Remote Connection to server: Connection Refused
Date: 2010-08-16 17:52:19
Lists: pgsql-novice

I am using Postgresql 8.4 on Ubunut 10.04

I am having trouble connecting a remote client to the Postgresql server running
on the Ubuntu 10.04 machine. I don’t have a problem opening a client connection
on the host machine.

I did the following changes :

In Postgresql.conf file :

listen_address = ‘*’

In pg_hba.conf file:

local all all md5
host all all 0.0.0.0/0 md5

I restarted the server after making these changes
sudo /etc/init.d/postgresql-8.4 restart

The remote client and the host(postgresql server) are on the same network . I
can ping each other and they are communicating.

I checked if the server is running using the command from the terminal

sudo /etc/init.d/postgresql-8.4 status

I got the following response:

Running clusters: 8.4/main

Please help me. What am I doing wrong?