Re: Support to define custom wait events for extensions

From: Masahiro Ikeda <ikedamsh(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tristan Partin <tristan(at)neon(dot)tech>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Support to define custom wait events for extensions
Date: 2023-08-10 04:08:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

Thanks for your comments about the v2 patches. I updated to v3 patches.

The main changes are:
* remove the AddinShmemInitLock assertion
* add the new lock (WaitEventExtensionLock) to wait_event_names.txt
* change "static const int wee_hash_XXX_size" to "#define XXX"
* simplify worker_spi. I removed codes related to share memory and
try to allocate the new wait event before waiting per background
worker.
* change to elog from ereport because the errors are for developers.
* revise comments as advised.
* fix the request size for shared memory correctly
* simplify dblink.c
* fix process ordering of WaitEventExtensionNew() as advised to
avoid leading illegal state.

In addition, I change the followings:
* update about custom wait events in sgml. we don't need to use
shmem_startup_hook.
* change the hash names for readability.
(ex. WaitEventExtensionNameHash -> WaitEventExtensionHashById)
* fix a bug to fail to get already defined events by names
because HASH_BLOBS was specified. HASH_STRINGS is right since
the key is C strings.

I create a new entry in commitfest for CI testing.
(https://commitfest.postgresql.org/44/4494/)

Thanks for closing the former entry.
(https://commitfest.postgresql.org/43/4368/)

Regards,
--
Masahiro Ikeda
NTT DATA CORPORATION

Attachment Content-Type Size
v3-0002-poc-custom-wait-event-for-dblink.patch text/x-diff 1.1 KB
v3-0001-Change-to-manage-custom-wait-events-in-shared-hash.patch text/x-diff 24.0 KB