Recent ODBC drivers possibly broken on XP - missing msvcrt dll

From: "David Joffe" <david(dot)joffe(at)tshwanedje(dot)com>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Recent ODBC drivers possibly broken on XP - missing msvcrt dll
Date: 2014-05-21 20:26:01
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Hi,

I installed the latest Windows PostgreSQL ODBC driver (17 May 2014
09_03_03) onto a test 32-bit XP SP3 system. When I tried to add a
datasource, I got the error message:

"The setup routines for the PostgreSQL Unicode ODBC driver could not
be loaded due to system error code 126"

Using dependency walker, I found the driver DLL to be missing
"msvcr100.dll". I manually copied msvcr100.dll into '\Program
Files\psqlODBC\0903\bin' and presto, the driver worked.

To be clear, this is the 32-bit driver on a 32-bit system, so this
is not the 64/32-bit issue.

Looking back at earlier PostgreSQL ODBC driver releases, I see that
up until the June 2013 driver, it seemingly included this DLL with
the MSI installer, but the most recent driver releases it is not
there. Evidently this seems to cause it to break on at least some XP
systems (I assume not all of them or there would be more people
complaining) - I'm not sure if it was intentional to break XP
support, or if it's a bug? (I mean, of course XP is EOL'd, but is
still on a sizable percentage of existing installed computers.)
(Alternatively, perhaps it is something anomalous to this specific
XP system, I'm not sure.)

Regards,

- David Joffe