"mirroring" a table - PostgreSQL 7.3.2

From: "C(dot) Bensend" <benny(at)bennyvision(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: "mirroring" a table - PostgreSQL 7.3.2
Date: 2004-01-24 19:35:04
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hey folks,

I searched the archives and didn't really come up with much, so I'm
posting my question here.

I have two tables in the same database, whose structure I want to be
identical. Call them 'bob' and 'test_bob' for example.

If I make a change to the schema of 'bob', I want that exact change to
happen to 'test_bob'. The data is irrelevant - any data in 'test_bob' is
going to be manipulated, spindled, folded, and mutilated. The data in
'bob' must remain intact.

For example, if I ALTER a column or ADD a column to 'bob', I need the
exact same thing to happen to 'test_bob'.

Is this possible without the typical DROP and CREATE TABLE? Many
thanks for any input. :)

Benny

--
"Have you ever tried simply turning off the TV, sitting down with your
children, and hitting them?" -- Bender, "Futurama"