Re: Upgrade/Installation problem: Version 7.4.9 to version

From: Andrew Edson <cheighlund(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Jeff Frost <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Upgrade/Installation problem: Version 7.4.9 to version
Date: 2007-01-17 21:40:57
Lists: pgsql-admin

I apologize; I had intended to reply-all, and simply missed the mark somehow.

Also, thank you for the link to the documentation; it was clear enough that I was able to get what I needed done...at least as far as I can tell, since it's not finished yet.

Thank you very much for your gracious assistance.

Jeff Frost <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com> wrote:
Please reply-all when replying so everyone can help.

What I mean is that I have a physical server db1 which is old and meant to be
replaced by new shiny physical server db2.

Let me ask a different question, because it seems perhaps I didn't understand
your original email.

Are you just trying to upgrade from postgresql 7.4.9 to 8.1.3 (I'd suggest
8.1.6 myself) on the same physical machine?

If so, then you need to use an intermediate file like this:

(starting from when postgresql-7.4.9 is running)
/usr/local/src/postgresql-8.1.6/src/bin/pg_dump/pg_dumpall | gzip > dumpall.gz
stop postgresql 7.4.9 server
rename the 7.4.9 data directory
install postgresql-8.1.6
initdb -E UTF8 -D /var/lib/pgsql/data
(or wherever your data directory is to reside)
start postgresql 8.1.6
zcat dumpall.gz | psql postgres

Don't pick lemons.
See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.