Re: Allow an alias for the target table in UPDATE/DELETE

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
Cc: Atsushi Ogawa <atsushi(dot)ogawa(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Allow an alias for the target table in UPDATE/DELETE
Date: 2006-01-22 07:23:46
Lists: pgsql-patches

> Can you see a better fix?

I haven't done any experimentation, but my first instinct would be to
spell out the productions at greater length: instead of

relation_expr opt_as ColId

try

relation_expr ColId
| relation_expr AS ColId

The normal game with bison is to postpone decisions (reductions) as
long as possible. Shortcuts like opt_as lose that game because the
shift-versus-reduce decision has to be made with hardly any lookahead.

Or maybe some other hack is needed, but I seriously doubt it's
unfixable.