Indexes and sequences

From: Jeff Willden <jeff(at)pavanell(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Indexes and sequences
Date: 2008-01-19 22:04:34
Lists: pgsql-novice

I'm cleaning up a database that someone else made and have a couple
questions. When I look at a table in pgAdmin it shows the DDL below.
Do I need an index on the groupid_seq sequence? Doesn't the sequence
already include one? Also, even if I need it, it doesn't need to be a
unique index because the sequence already ensures uniqueness, right?
On top of that there's a primary key constraint that also ensures
uniqueness. Isn't there a bunch of redundant stuff here?

CREATE TABLE buddygroup
(
groupid integer NOT NULL DEFAULT nextval('groupid_seq'::text),
userid integer NOT NULL,
title character varying(255) NOT NULL,
CONSTRAINT buddygroup_pkey PRIMARY KEY (groupid)
)
WITH OIDS;
ALTER TABLE buddygroup OWNER TO postgres;

-- Index: bg_groupid_idx

-- DROP INDEX bg_groupid_idx;

CREATE UNIQUE INDEX bg_groupid_idx
ON buddygroup