Exporting Table-Specified BLOBs Only?

From: "Braunstein, Alan" <alan_braunstein(at)mentor(dot)com>
To: "pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Exporting Table-Specified BLOBs Only?
Date: 2014-04-28 17:04:36
Lists: pgadmin-support

Fundamental issue:
PostgreSQL is different than Oracle in how it stores BLOBs
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/catalog-pg-largeobject.html.

In PostgreSQL ...
In the particular tables BLOBS are stored as OID's (unique numbers).
There is one table for all BLOB data (see pg_largeobject under Catalogs/PostgreSQL/pg_largeobject in pgadmin tree). It stores colums "OID/pageno/actual binary data (page)".

What do I need?
A method of using pg_dump to selectively export BLOBs with OID's used in the tables specified with --table <table_name1> --table <table_name2>

I have four tables containing BLOBs I want to export w/o the BLOB data - that's easy.
What I also want is the remaining 200+ tables exported with THEIR BLOB entries, if any, but NOT one BLOB from the four tables explicitly not specified in pg_dump command; so JUST the BLOBs associated to any of the 200+ tables I do specify.

Thanks!
Alan