Re: Update maintenance_work_mem/autovacuum_work_mem to reflect the 1GB limitation with VACUUM

From: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Martín Marqués <martin(dot)marques(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Update maintenance_work_mem/autovacuum_work_mem to reflect the 1GB limitation with VACUUM
Date: 2021-06-04 12:34:42
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 2021-06-02 at 18:16 +0900, Masahiko Sawada wrote:
> > > We should add a line that indicates that there is a limitation (that
> > > should be IMO, backported to documentation of earlier versions as it
> > > affects all supported versions), at least until such limitation is
> > > lifted.
> > Here is a patch for that,
>
> The patch adds the description in the autovacuum_work_mem section.
> Isn't it better to add it in mantenance_work section or VACUUM command
> section since this limitation is not only for autovacuum?

You are right; theoretically, the correct place to document that
would be the VACUUM documentation. But I guess that most people who
are curious about VACUUM's memory usage will read the documentation for
"maintenance_work_mem" or "autovacuum_work_mem".

I have fixed a typo and added a similar paragraph to "maintenance_work_mem".

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Document-the-1GB-memory-limit-for-VACUUM.v2.patch text/x-patch 1.4 KB