Move defaults toward ICU in 16?

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Move defaults toward ICU in 16?
Date: 2023-02-02 13:13:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

As a project, do we want to nudge users toward ICU as the collation
provider as the best practice going forward?

If so, is version 16 the right time to adjust defaults to favor ICU?

* At build time, default to --with-icu (-Dicu=enabled); users who
don't want ICU can specify --without-icu (-Dicu=disabled/auto)
* At initdb time, default to --locale-provider=icu if built with
ICU support

If we don't want to nudge users toward ICU, is it because we are
waiting for something, or is there a lack of consensus that ICU is
actually better?

Regards,
Jeff Davis