Re: review: pgbench - aggregation of info written into log

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Tomas Vondra <tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: review: pgbench - aggregation of info written into log
Date: 2013-01-17 13:29:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 01/17/2013 06:04 AM, Tomas Vondra wrote:
> The problem is I have access to absolutely no Windows machines,
> not mentioning the development tools (and that I have no clue about it).
>
> I vaguely remember there were people on this list doing Windows
> development
> on a virtual machine or something. Any interest in working on this /
> giving
> me some help?

One of the items on my very long TODO list (see stuff elsewhere about
committers not doing enough reviewing and committing) is to create a
package that can easily be run to set Windows Postgres development
environments for MSVC, Mingw and Cygwin on Amazon, GoGrid etc.

Once I get that done I'll be a lot less sympathetic to "I don't have
access to Windows" pleas.

Windows does run in a VM very well, but if you're going to set it up on
your own VM environment, (e.h. VirtualBox or KVM/qemu) you need your own
legal copy to install there. If you don't already have one, that will
set you back about $140.00 (for w7 Pro) in the USA. Note that that's
significantly better than the situation with OSX, which you can't run at
all except on Apple hardware.

cheers

andrew