Re: dynamic SQL - possible performance regression in 9.2

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: dynamic SQL - possible performance regression in 9.2
Date: 2013-01-04 22:11:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 01/04/2013 01:17 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

> Well, of course, people with that type of problem should probably
> rethink their use of dynamic SQL when they move to 9.2 anyway, because
> that's the case where the new plancache code could actually help them
> if they'd only let it.

Not to further the argument because of the +1 from you but I think it is
important to keep in mind that the less work we make it to upgrade, the
more likely it is they will.

It took forever (and we still have stragglers) to get people past 8.2
because of the casting change in 8.3. This is a similar problem in that
if we want them to upgrade to take advantage of features, we have to
make it so the least amount of work possible is needed to make that
upgrade happen.

Rewriting many thousands of lines of dynamic sql to upgrade to 9.2 is
certainly not doing that :).

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> But anyway, nobody seems to be speaking against back-patching, so
> I'll go do it.
>
> regards, tom lane

High Availability, Oracle Conversion, Postgres-XC
@cmdpromptinc - 509-416-6579