Re: [BUGS] Error in Makefile

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: nonsolosoft(at)diff(dot)org, Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-bugs(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: [BUGS] Error in Makefile
Date: 1999-08-26 19:12:35
Lists: pgsql-bugs

I wrote:
> For a real fix, I think we have no alternative but to abandon the way
> that mkMakefile.tcldefs.sh does its job --- this horsing around with
> "eval eval" is just not going to replicate the quoting/evaluation
> behavior you get from executing the script.

This issue seemed familiar, and upon digging through my inbox I find
that Albert Chin reported related problems in pgsql-hackers on 7/10/99.
That discussion tapered off without quite agreeing on a fix. Albert was
recommending using "sed" to remove quote marks, but I'm thinking that we
really ought to just source the darn script rather than trying to
emulate the shell's evaluation rules...

regards, tom lane