Re: Support for REINDEX CONCURRENTLY

From: Jim Nasby <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Support for REINDEX CONCURRENTLY
Date: 2012-10-08 23:14:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 10/8/12 5:08 PM, Andres Freund wrote:

>> >Yeah, what's the risk to renaming an index during concurrent access? The
>> >only thing I can think of is an "old" backend referring to the wrong index
>> >name in an elog. That's certainly not great, but could possibly be dealt
>> >with.
> We cannot have two indexes with the same oid in the catalog, so the two
> different names will have to have different oids. Unfortunately the indexes oid
> is referred to by other tables (e.g. pg_constraint), so renaming the indexes
> while differering in the oid isn't really helpful :(...

Hrm... the claim was made that everything relating to the index, including pg_depend and pg_contstraint, got duplicated. But I don't know how you could duplicate a constraint without also playing name games. Perhaps name games are being played there as well...

> Right now I don't see anything that would make switching oids easier than
> relfilenodes.

Yeah... in order to make either of those schemes work I think there would need to non-trivial internal changes so that we weren't just passing around raw OIDs/filenodes.

BTW, it occurs to me that this problem might be easier to deal with if we had support for accessing the catalog with the same snapshot as the main query was using... IIRC that's been discussed in the past for other issues.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect jim(at)nasby(dot)net
512.569.9461 (cell) http://jim.nasby.net