Batch updates to 1 column using python-pgsql in multiple rows

From: Abhijeet R <abhijeet(dot)1989(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Batch updates to 1 column using python-pgsql in multiple rows
Date: 2012-08-29 13:58:24
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi guys,

I have to update a certain column of a table at many rows. (order of
thousands).

For now, I am using a prepare statement and executing the queries like:

query = "UPDATE mytable SET myvar = $1 WHERE myvar2=$2"
db.execute(query, (var, var1)) #db is my connection object

But, I still feel like I can make it faster by using db.executemany()
method. The thing is I am not able to get the syntax of it.

Can anyone please guide me as to how do I do batch updates in the
fastest possible manner? Also, will executemany() really be faster? If
so, how does that result in faster batch updates?

--
Regards,
Abhijeet