Semi-final draft for press release

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Semi-final draft for press release
Date: 2012-08-20 04:04:25
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Folks,

Rob Napier and I have been hammering on this for several days. The
draft looks very different now; we're trying to make it news even for
the sites which covered the beta. As Rob pointed out to me, if folks
already saw it 4 months ago, it's not news.

Here's our semi-final text. Please point out any *major* problems; at
this point, it's too late for fancy wordsmithing and debating themes.
Also, do keep in mind that the target audience of this release is *the
press*, and not our own community.

Company names have been redacted because, well, you know.

========================

## SEPTEMBER 2012: The PostgreSQL Global Development Group announces
PostgreSQL 9.2, the latest release of the leader in open source
databases. Since the beta release was announced in May, developers and
vendors have praised it as a leap forward in performance, scalability
and flexibility. Users are expected to switch to this version in record
numbers.

"PostgreSQL 9.2 will ship with native JSON support, covering indexes,
replication and performance improvements, and many more features. We are
eagerly awaiting this release and will make it available in Early Access
as soon as it’s released by the PostgreSQL community," said Senior
Engineer, Web2.0 Company.

Improved Performance and Scalability

Hewlett Packard has adopted PostgreSQL for their remote support software
and to power their HP-UX/Itanium solutions.

"With the release of PostgreSQL 9.2, the PostgreSQL Project has
significantly advanced scalability and developer flexibility to provide
our customers a highly performant database for their most demanding
workloads," Manager at Big Tech Company said. "We are especially happy
with the addition of linear scalability to 64 cores, index-only scans
and reductions in CPU power consumption."

Improvements in vertical scalability increase PostgreSQL's ability to
efficiently utilize hardware resources on larger servers. Advances in
lock management, write efficiency, index-only access and other low-level
operations allow PostgreSQL to handle even larger-volume workloads.
Numerically, this means:

* Up to 350,000 read queries per second (more than 4X faster)
* Index-only scans for data warehousing queries (up to 20X faster)
* Up to 14,000 data writes per second (5X faster)

Also, the addition of cascading replication enables users to run even
larger stacks of horizontally scaled servers under PostgreSQL 9.2.

"SomeSocialSite relies on Postgres for storing millions of sites and
subscriptions. Solid and reliable for years," said Some Guy, founder of
SomeSocialSite.com. "We're consistently on the bleeding edge (9.1 now,
moving to 9.2 soon for the cascading replication alone) and it's been a
pleasure since 8.4."

Flexibile Developer Support

The flexibility of PostgreSQL is reflected in the diversity of
organisations that have adopted it. For example NASA, the FAA, Chicago
Mercantile Exchange and Instagram all rely on it to perform
mission-critical applications. Version 9.2 extends this flexibility
even further by including support for Range Types and JSON, allowing
developers to use PostgreSQL in completely new ways.

Range Types allow developers to create better calendaring, scientific,
and financial applications. No other major SQL database supports this
feature, which enables intelligent handling of blocks of time and numbers.

With PostgreSQL 9.2, query results can be returned as JSON data types.
Combined with the new PL/v8 Javascript and PL/Coffee database
programming extensions, and the optional HStore key-value store, users
can now utilize PostgreSQL like a "NoSQL" document database, while
retaining PostgreSQL's reliability, flexibility and performance.

"Native JSON support in PostgresSQL provides an efficient mechanism for
creating and storing documents for web APIs. We use front-end libraries
like jQuery to request tabular and tree-structured data; and the new
features make it convenient and provide performance advantages in
retrieving that data as JSON, " said Senior Architect, TelCo Inc.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.