Re: Migration Wizard - Access 97 Autonumber

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: <timcu(at)mac(dot)com>
Cc: <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Migration Wizard - Access 97 Autonumber
Date: 2003-07-13 08:52:51
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hi Tim,

It's rumoured that D Tim Cummings once said:
> I am trying to migrate an Access 97 database to PostgreSQL 7.3 using
> pgAdmin 1.4.12 and the Migration Wizard 1.4.12. I want to keep using
> the Access 97 front end connected to the PostgreSQL backend.
>
> The default type mapping didn't work for me but I discovered that
> mapping
> Boolean -> int2 (instead of bool) and
> Currency -> float8 (instead of money)
> meant I needed no changes to my Access97 front end.

float8 is not a good idea for monetary amounts as there may be rounding
errors and other problems. numeric is a far safer option.
> The problem I had was the Autonumber mapping. By default Autonumber
> maps to int8 which causes Access 97 to think all records in the linked
> table are deleted. If the PostgreSQL data type is changed to int4,
> Access97 works fine.

In the 1.5.60 version, the autonumber columns will map through the type
map, so if they start off as a 4 byte integer, they shouold end up as int4
or whatever you have mapped in it's place.
You can download from http://www.pgadmin.org/pgadmin2/downloads

Regards, Dave.