Re: [INTERFACES] getting "fe_setauthsvc: invalid name" error

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Cc: Midwest Online <mo(at)midwestonline(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] getting "fe_setauthsvc: invalid name" error
Date: 1998-09-16 14:29:59
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Sebastian Meyer <meyer(at)mevis(dot)de> writes:

> Its in http://www.PostgreSQL.ORG/docs/postgres/libpq9374.htm
> Read the section on "PQsetdbLogin - Makes a new connection to a backend"

Ah, but Clint's real problem is that he's not calling libpq directly,
but via libpq++. And as far as I can see, libpq++ doesn't have any way
to open a connection except by calling plain old PQsetdb. This needs to
be fixed. (We should add an entry point to libpq++ that corresponds to
PQconnectdb, so that the connection parameters are passed through as a
single string and libpq++ doesn't have to know about each and every one
of 'em.)

The short-term workaround is what you mention next:

> It's so easy... If you should want to set environment variables anyway:
> environ(5), getenv(3) and putenv(3) tell you how.

Setting PGUSER (and PGPASSWORD if needed) env. variables will provide a
way to pass these items to libpq despite the lack of any cooperation
from libpq++.