Re: core 2 duo

From: Frank Bax <fbax(at)sympatico(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: core 2 duo
Date: 2006-12-18 01:36:50
Lists: pgsql-novice

At 08:21 AM 12/17/06, Sean Davis wrote:

>Frank Bax wrote:
>>This might be old news to a lot of people, but I'm wondering if pg will
>>automatically use both processors concurrently in a Core 2 Duo
>>system. I'm planning to install OpenBSD 4.0 with SMP kernel (bsd.mp) and
>>install pg using their binary 8.1.5 package.
>

>I don't think so. These SMP machines are simply two processors. If you
>run one query, only one process is used, so only one processor. If you
>have two independent queries (from two different users, for example), two
>processes will be used and then the second processor can be utilized.

I assumed it wouldn't use two processors on one query. I was wondering if
independent queries would automatically use multiple processors when
available; or if some special action had to be invoked (like compile time
switch or config option) before this behaviour was possible. Sounds like
we get this behaviour "out of the box". Great.