Re: Disk full problem

From: Frank Bax <fbax(at)sympatico(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Disk full problem
Date: 2005-04-22 13:26:36
Lists: pgsql-novice

You misread the documentation. It says "normally not be more than 2 *
checkpoint_segments + 1 files". Notice the word "normally". There can be
more files on your system due to "short-term peak" in log activity, but
system will recover space when system activity is reduced. If your system
has "short-term peaks" often enough, the system will not recover that space.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/wal-configuration.html

I just checked two of my systems (both with default setting of
checkpoint_segments = 3). The production system has 4 log files (with
timestamps 25-30 hours apart), the test system (which has been idle for a
few days) has only 2 log files.