Difference in DATEs

From: "Dean Gibson (DB Administrator)" <postgresql3(at)ultimeth(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Difference in DATEs
Date: 2004-09-21 07:38:59
Lists: pgsql-sql

Assume that x and y are of type DATE:

1. AGE( x, y ) < INTERVAL '...' works.

2. x < y + INTERVAL '...' works.

3. x - y < INTERVAL '...' doesn't work (but then, the minus operator is not
defined in the manual for two DATE values).

Question: Is the meaning of x - y well-defined? That is, is there a
definition that I can count on?

Not an important question, but I'm curious, since I like to write date
differences in a style that makes readability/maintenance easy.

-- Dean